AdAway is an open source ad blocker for Android using the hosts file. It needs Android >= 2.1 and ROOT access.
- AdAway is Open Source and Free Software (GPLv3+)
- AdAway lets you select your own sources of hosts files
- You can add exceptions to your Whitelist if an app is not working when specific hosts are blocked
- You can define extra hostnames in your own Blacklist
- You can add your own (hostname, IP)-pairs in the Redirection List
- Android version: 2.1
- ROOT required
- Read/Write access on system-Partition
Problems can occur on some HTC devices when system-Partition is not writable!
Ads are not blocked when on mobile data connection!
AdAway will not work reliable when on Mobile Networks like 3G. You can deactivate that proxy by going to your selected APN (On Android 4: Wireless and networks -> More… -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names) and remove the value in the proxy field.
Ads in Chrome are not blocked!
Disable Chrome’s Data Compression Proxy.
Advertisements in Application XYZ are not blocked!
Follow this Guide to find the corresponding hostnames and how to report them.
Application XYZ stopped working!
Back button in Android’s Browser stopped working!
Enable the local Webserver in AdAway’s preferences as a workaround.
Are there more hosts sources that can be used?
More Hosts sources can be found in the Wiki on Github.
Redirection Lists for blocked domains in China
Add Redirection Lists to your Hosts Sources to redirect blocked DNS requests to the correct IPs in China. This hosts source contains redirection rules for Google, Facebook, and other. (You need to enable “Allow redirection rules from Hosts Sources” in preferences)
Open the Wiki on Github
Report a Bug
Help translating AdAway! Everybody can participate at AdAway on Transifex.